Sunday, April 17, 2016

What I know about Mammography

A couple of years ago, my beloved co-leader was diagnosed with breast cancer. Today, she is a survivor. Thank God.

We wanted to help her and her family, but we didn't quite know how. We had to respect her privacy and avoid revealing too much information to her young daughters and the other girls in our troop.

In the end, we were thrilled to help at a 5K fundraiser. Our girls happily passed water cups to the participants. And the event managed to raise a little for her mounting medical bills.

Fast forward to last week. I received a letter from the clinic where I had a mammogram in August. The letter said there was a problem and I needed another mammogram. Apparently something about my left breast changed from my last mammogram.

After a brief panic and what my husband refers to as disaster fantasies, I did a little research. About half of the mammograms for women in my age group show problematic results that are not actually cancer. Less than one percent of the problematic images are actually cancer.

Hallelujah.




No comments:

Post a Comment